State Disaster Management Authority
Please enter banners and links.
Prior to the enactment of Disaster Management Act, 2005, the Tamil Nadu Government in its order Ms. No. 323, Revenue [NC-I(2)] Department dated 08-07-2003 issued orders for the constitution of State Disaster Management Authority with Chief Secretary of the State, as the Chairperson, to ensure coordinated steps towards mitigation, preparedness and coordinated response when a disaster strikes.
During December 2005, the Government of India enacted the Disaster Management Act 2005, which mandated the Chief Minister of the State as the Chairperson of the respective SDMA
Accordingly, the Tamil Nadu Government vide G.O. Ms No.564 Revenue (NC 1(2) Department dated 26.9.2008 reconstituted the SDMA with the Hon’ble Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu as the Chairperson for monitoring the Disaster Management Activities in the State. The members of SDMA are: –
1. Hon’ble Minister for Revenue and Disaster Management
2. Chief Secretary to Government
3. Secretary, Revenue and Disaster Management Department
4. Secretary, Finance Department
5. Secretary, Home Department
6. State Relief Commissioner and Commissioner of Revenue Administration
7. Director, Centre for Disaster Management & Mitigation, Anna University, Chennai and
8. Head of Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras.
The State Disaster Management Authority (SDMA) is responsible for coordinating the response to disasters and to reduce risks. All measures for mitigation, preparedness, response, and recovery are undertaken under the guidance and supervision of the Authority. The SDMA approves the State Disaster Management Plan and District Disaster Management Plans in accordance with the guidelines laid down by the National Disaster Management Authority.